The Virtualized Eclipse Disappearing Act
I ran into an annoying issue yesterday that dealt with virtualized windows 7 and Eclipse. I loaded a clean VM with Windows 7, Java, and Eclipse. To test the development machine I simply opened up eclipse and attempted to create an XML document. Then all the sudden Eclipse disappeared. After a little investigation, and a useful suggestion from a colleague, the issue was related to memory. I had ruled out memory by beefing up my “hardware” memory, but apparently my feeble mind didn’t think about any software settings.
So if you are seeing a disappearing and or locking up eclipse and a log message (hs_err_***.log)
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
# java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 152 bytes for CHeapObj-new. Out of swap space?
# Internal Error (allocation.inline.hpp:39), pid=620, tid=1628
# Error: CHeapObj-new
# JRE version: 6.0_21-b06
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (17.0-b16 mixed mode windows-x86 )
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
It is proudly outside of the depth/breadth of my knowledge the internal details about heap and permgen usage.
But at a high level permgen holds data about classes that have been loaded and created, and the heap is where objects go to die ;). Feel free to do some reading… these are decent sites..
Onto my simple issue… Inside the Eclipse.ini I modified
-Xms40m (I didn’t change this which is the initial java heap size)
-Xmx1024m (I doubled this… it is the max java heap size)
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m ( I added this attribute …)
….I then waved the magic wand and everything was fixed….